Standardized Expanded Nutrition Survey (SENS) in Kigoma Refugee Camps (Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli) - October 2018
Demographic and Health Survey [hh/dhs]
Tanzania is prone to refugee influxes, often of long duration. Despite facing its own economic challenges, for decades Tanzania has welcomed thousands of refugees fleeing conflicts in neighboring countries of Great Lakes Region. The counties geographic proximity to the strife-torn Congo Basin is responsible in part for the ease access of displaced populations. As well Tanzania was an early signatory in the region to international agreements on the rights and welfare of refugee and asylum seekers.
As of December, 2018, Tanzania host some 284,300 camp-based refugees, 77% of who are children and woman, in Nduta, Nyarugusu and Mtendeli Refugee Camps in Kigoma region in Northwest Tanzania. About 74% are from Burundi, and the remaining 26% are primarily from Democratic republic of Congo.
Following a Tripartite Commission meeting in August 2017, the governments of Tanzania, Burundi, and UNHCR agreed to assist refugees who wish to voluntarily repatriate from Tanzania to Burundi. A subsequent meeting in March 2018 reaffirmed the commitment of both governments and UNHCR to uphold the principle of voluntariness, and noted that while some refugees may opt to return, others will continue to be in need of international protection. The March 2018 Tripartite meeting also produced a work plan entailing the repatriation of approximately 2,000 refugees per week from 5 April to 31 December 2018. As from January to 30th September 2018, a total of 52,260 refugees were assisted to voluntarily repatriate to Burundi from Tanzania in 88 Convoys; bringing the total repatriated from September 2017 to 57,865 of which 57.2% are children.
This is the 5th SENS survey among the refugees in Nyarugusu since the first survey in September 2012 second in September 2014. Assessments in 2016, 2017 and 2018 covered all the three camps of Nyarugusu (old & New Camp), Nduta and Mtendeli. The current survey was conducted as from 16th September to October 13th 2018, with a total of 4 assessments.
Kind of Data
Sample survey data [ssd]
Unit of Analysis
Individuals & Households
v2.1: Edited, anonymous dataset for licensed distribution.
Children 6-59 months:
Prevalence of Acute Malnutrition, Stunting, Prevalence of anaemia, Measles vaccination and Vitamin A coverage, Diarrhea,
Infants 0 - 6 months:
Infant and young child feeding practices (IYCF)
Non-pregnant women of reproductive age (15-49 years):
Food security, WASH, Mosquito net coverage, Mortality Rates,
Water Sanitation Hygiene
All refugee camps in Kigoma Region (Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli), Tanzania
The survey covered all de jure household members (usual residents), all women aged 15-49 years resident in the household, and all children aged 0-4 years (under age 5) resident in the household.
Producers and sponsors
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
TANZANIA REDCROSS SOCIETY
cross-sectional multi-stage cluster surveys, probability proportional to size, Systematic random sampling
Not info provided
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Computer Assisted Personal Interview [capi]
The SENS modules include standardized questionnaires, analysis guidance, reporting format and standard
4 questionnaires were included in this version:
1. Household demographics
2. Household mosquito nets, food security and WASH
3. Individuals, children under 5
4. Individuals, women between 15-49
UNHCR (2018) Standardized Expanded Nutrition Survey (SENS) in Kigoma Refugee Camps (Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli). UNHCR's Microdata Library: https://microdata.unhcr.org