Post-Distribution Monitoring of Cash-Based Intervention, 2021
Income/Expenditure/Household Survey [hh/ies]
UNHCR uses Post Distribution Monitoring (PDM) as a mechanism to collect refugees’ feedback on the quality, sufficiency, utilization and effectiveness of the assistance items they receive. The underlying principle behind the process is linked to accountability, as well as a commitment to improve the quality and relevance of support provided, and related services. UNHCR increasingly uses cash based interventions (CBIs) as a preferred modality for delivering assistance, offering greater dignity and choice to Persons of Concern (PoCs) in line with UNHCR’s core protection mandate. In order to ensure that the cash assistance provided meets the intended objectives and that desired outcomes are achieved, UNHCR conducts regular post-distribution and outcome monitoring with a sample of refugee recipients residing across the country. This study monitors the following type of Cash Assitance: Basic Needs (MPCA), Education, Energy, cash for persons with specific needs, cash for protection and covid-19, rent, shelter repair, voluntary return and winterization.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
v2.1: Edited, cleaned and anonymised data
The household survey covers the following sections:
1. Household demographics
2. Receiving and spending the cash assistance (basic facts)
3. Risks and problems: Did people face problems with the CBI? Did the CBI put POCs at additional risk?
4. Markets and prices: Can POCs find what they need, and at a price they can afford, in the markets?
5. Expenditure: What did people spend the money on?
6. Outcomes: What changes is the cash assistance contributing to in POC households?
7. Longer-Term Outcomes: Has the cash assistance helped put POC on the pathway to sustainable solutions?
8. Accountability to Affected Persons: Is the CBI intervention accountable to persons of concern? (What preferences do people have over how assistance is delivered?)
The survey covers returnee households that received CBI in 2021 in Malaysia